Sunday, April 01, 2007

I will now start writing as if it has not been almost 2 months since I last posted. I find the catch-all word "management" to be annoying. What does it mean, and why does it matter to the average joe? I often seen banners or signs, especially on restaurants, that say "Under New Management". Why is that important? It would be more sensible to say "You know those worthless hacks that used to run this place? They're out and now someone competent is running this joint, so no more hair in your caesar salad". But even in that case, the sign refers to people that the vast majority of patrons have never met. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Also, this week I was in the company john, minding my own business, when I noticed that the paper toilet seat covers have an interesting message printed on their outer package - "Provided for Your Protection by the Management". So, who are these management blokes, and why do they think I need to be protected from things that inhabit their bathrooms? The message also insinuates that the paper toilet seat covers are a regular agenda item at board meetings.

Chairman: Next item - shall we approve expenditure of company funds on an initiative to protect the back sides of employees with disposable toilet seat covers when they use company facilities?

CFO: I for one, restate my continued opposition to such extravagances

COO: Not so fast. Have you been to the head lately? We've got some loose cannons that work here.

I'm sure I'm sharing too much information here, but I bet the seat covers are actually more psychological than useful for preventing public health problems. I only use one if I'm in a bathroom that I think is really dirty (proving that I, too, am irrational). Also, I think there should be a way to manufacture those things so that they don't automatically rip in half as one tries to prepare the cover for actual placement.

As I was leaving for a business trip a month ago I had a lingering cough so I bought a product advertised as an "expectorant". I was supposed to make coughs "more productive". This was encouraging, since I can think of no activity that is less productive than hacking up a lung. However, it didn't work. It got me thinking, though. Maybe they have the definition of expectorant wrong. Maybe it actually means "one who spits". That would make and expectoree "one who is spat upon". Famous expectorants in sports: Ruud Gullit, Terrell Owens, Robbie Alomar. Famous expectorees in sports: Rudi Voller, DeAngelo Hall, and John Hirschbeck. I guess that makes me an expectator, as in: "Dude, I totally saw Ruud Gullit spit on Rudi Voller".

On a related subject, I have also been thinking about low-dignity job titles. I think that "phlebotomist" takes the cake. I have an acquaintance at work that thinks it is "proctologist" (loosely translated: "butt doctor"), but I'll go with "plebotomist". For me, the fact the name is a comical, coincidental approximation of the actual job (going around the hospital putting phlegm into bottles) is the clincher. In researching this subject, I discovered a totally awesome word: sputum.

That's all for now. I do realize that I have hit a new low since this post consisted entirely of references to spit and bathrooms. Sorry.

7 comments:

BigC said...

Scott- gotta tell you that it was worth the wait. I am still wiping the tears away. What a picture. I could tell the blog was going to be good as I was laughing just to see the issuance flying through the air, skillfully caught on camera by some enterprising your photographer. When did this actually happen. And was this an international game between Germany and The Netherlands? And here is for the occupation...

C

twoplustwins said...

I'm reasonably sure that the proctologists aren't losing any sleep over your buddy's gibe - those guys stack up the loot with snow shovels. I actually rarely use those protectors, preferring instead to use the more universally applicable 3-piece TP seat cover, originally shown to me by Gpa Harris. That pic plays in WSC roughly every other month, and I love it.

All10Dixons said...

On a trip to Costco Miri came dancing and singing out of the bathroom. "Grandma got me out a TOILET SEAT COVER so I was perfectly clean while I went to the bathroom! Isn't Grandma great?! I have the best Grandma in the whole world!" For super-clean Miri, if management provided her seat covers, she would be putty in their hands.

All10Dixons said...

Oh, and Mike really needed that belly laugh after a long day yesterday. Thanks!

tams said...

I too have just barely wiped away the last tear from laughing so hard. I had actually been thinking of writing about toilet seat covers since one of my pet peeves is to have the automatic toilet flush it down while I am preparing my clothing to use the toilet. Also, Julia may remember our trip to Mexico with Gma H. where she had pack the toilet seat covers to protect us. One more bit--I once saw a joke in the Evergreen showing a fancy dinner party where one guest exclaims, "This is not a lobster bib, it's a toilet seat cover!" Anyway I thought it was pretty funny.

Kersten said...

On the contrary! You need to save these for future Dave Barry-esque type publications!

Grandma's Musings said...

Enjoying your blog just ruined my mascara, and it's only been on for 20 min!

As the mother of four boys, I can assure you that "loose cannons" cause more problems than can ever be addressed by a toilet seat cover, so I hope the management will look into that. Even so I would use them more often if they didn't get snatched away as per Tamsin's complaint. What we really need are those cool toilet seats we saw in Germany this time that rotate through a washer and dryer apparatus on the back, and are ready for use (only slightly moist) for the next customer.