Sunday, April 23, 2006



This week, I finally got around to another task that I've put off for about 2.5 years - taking the Ichthus off our van. This was kind of wierd from the start. The guy we bought the van from in the first place (who was really nice, by the way) had the Ichthus on it, and it wasn't a priority for us to take it off. If, instead, the bumper had read "honk if you're horny" or "bad cop, no donut", you can bet we would have been out there with a razor blade and ammonia on day one. The Ichthus is more complicated. We are Christians, after all. We also respect the origins of the Ichthus, and the legacy of the early Christians who used it to identify themselves. Still, we have gotten our share of funny looks as we leave the church parking lot. We considered ways of modifying the Ichthus (see above) but felt the meaning would be lost on fellow members while also not playing well with fellow Christians not of our sect.

So, I took it off. This also was kind of wierd. Imagine, if you will, a friendly neighborhood Baptist minister having a conversation with his wife- "Bernice, I was driving down the road today minding my own business, and happened on sorry young man scrapin' the Ichthus off his car. Poor boy has fallen pray to the persuasion of the world, lost his faith, and got to the point where he couldn't take it anymore. Saddest thing I've ever seen". Luckily, this didn't happen.
Marie here: How am I going to find our van in the parking lot any more?

(Back to Scott)After dinner this evening we had the chance to take a walk through the canyon behind our house. (The black shade at the top of the picture is the fence behind our house.) It was fun for the kids and us. So far we've been really pleased with the neighborhood and living in San Diego in general. I hope you like my finger in the pic to the left.

Last thought: a coup d'état is defined as the sudden overthrow of a government through unconstitutional means by a part of the state establishment that mostly replaces just the top power figures. A poo d'état is the sudden overthrown of family priorities executed by the youngest member of that family through an unusually large, smelly, or leaky poopie. Kai pulled one off before church today.

2 comments:

gillian said...

Scott--
I laughed my head off while reading your post, as I usually do. Thanks for blogging. And sorry about the poo d'etat.

Jules said...

I laughed my head off too. You're so FUNNY! When I read the comments on these blogs, I see that we're a little inbred circle (Gillian, Scott, Nigel, me) reading each other's blogs and writing comments. Sometimes I don't put a comment because I'm worried that a comment from me on every blog is a little stale. But I read every one and look forward to them. Keep writing! BTW, weird is one of those words--see raspberry post.